TWENTIETH CENTURY HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY, INDIANA
ILLUSTRATED ... G. W. H. KEMPER, M. D. ... EDITOR VOLUME, I
OF DELAWARE COUNTY page 457
Yorktown Christian Church.
This society was organized during the nineties, and their church building,
which cost $1,300, was dedicated to worship May 1, 1892. The charter
members of the organization were: Elijah Stevens, Mary Stevens, Alfred
Jones, Lillian Jones, Joshua Jester, Eliza J. Jester, Sarah Crawford, Mrs.
Cora Burk. The pastors who have served the congregation have been Elders
HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY page 458
O. P. Snodgrass, Oliver Carmichael, Thompson, Webb, Cecil Franklin, E.
L. D. Stamper.
Page 581 .....26, 1855. At the age of twenty-one he began the study of medicine under the instruction of a brother, Dr S H Davis, then of Miami, but now of Bunker Hill, with whom he remained for a period of three years. In 1879 he entered the Electic School of Medicine at Cincinnati and graduated in surgery and medicine the following year. Immediately after graduating, he returned to Miami and engaged in the practice of his profession. His parents were Benjamin and Elizabeth J (Watts) Davis, natives of this State. Miss Sadie Perry became his wife March 1, 1877. She was born in Decatur County, December 3, 1859 and is a daughter of Stamper and Margaret Perry. Wonder how he became to be named Stamper? Perhaps a relative?
of Greene and Sullivan Counties
133 / Reed J Stamper, veteran; wounded, Antietam, September,
133 / J D Stamper, died November, 1864; R J Stamper,
missing; Wilburn Stamper, missing; ............
272 / Among the pioneer teachers may be mentioned James M Gaston,
who have served as Trustee since the present school has been
established are James M Gaston,
Page 296 / William and Frank Hunter were the builders and proprietors, and are so at present. The grist mill
is fitted with the latest and best machinery, and furnishes first-class flour. The saw mill was attached later.
There are three run of stones in the grist mill. An elevator has been erected by Dugger & Co. Marco is one of
the best grain-shipping points of its size on the L & V Railroad. Martin & Stalcup had a saw mill in town for
several years. The town had a population of about 150. Within two or three years after the town was laid out,
the Township of Trustee, Jacob Garret, built a small one-storied frame schoolhouse at a cost of about $500.
Among the first teachers were John Page, Gould Norris and Josie Norris. Before the erection of this house, the
children went to the country schoolhouse southwest three-fourths of a mile. This first house was used until the
present fine two-storied brick was erected in 1879, at a cost, including the furnishings, of about $2,400. There
are two fine rooms - one above and one below. Among the Principals in this building have been Cavins, Stamper,
Menges and the present (January, 1984) teacher, Mr Danielson, a graduate of the college of Baltimore, and an
advanced student of the splendid educational institutions of Germany, of which country he is a native. ........
|History of Hancock County, Indiana|
|See more Indiana history in the 'Military' links|