Generation No. 1
1. JAMES1 STAMPER was born November 04, 1750 in Amherst Co, VA, and died March 30, 1826 in Morgan Co., KY. He married SARAH MOORE. She was born August 09, 1749, and died March 12, 1839 in Grassy Creek, Morgan Co., KY.
Notes for JAMES STAMPER:
Oliver Stamper in his book Descendants of James Stamper 1750-1826 terms James
Stamper as farmer, trapper, hunter, and trader. He says that James and wife Sarah
Moore Stamper arrived in Kentucky sometime between 1796 and 1825 and that they may
have first lived in what is now Letcher Co., Kentucky before migrating to Morgan Co.,
Kentucky. James Stamper apparently had several daughters in addition to the two sons
identified by Oliver Stamper. The 1790 census of Randolph Co., North Carolina lists a
Jammez Stamper with three sons and six daughters. It seems that most or all of the
daughters had already married in North Carolina, and when James decided to accompany
his sons to Kentucky they did not follow. James and his wife Sarah are buried at or near
Grassy Creek in Morgan Co., Kentucky.
James Stamper's general movements can be documented by his appearance in various tax lists and census records:
1774 - Surry Co., NC tax list
1779 - Randolph Co., NC tax list
1782 - Montgomery Co., VA tax list
1784 - Wilkes Co., NC tax list
1790 - Randolph Co., NC census
1820 - Clay Co., KY census
Children of JAMES STAMPER and SARAH MOORE are:
i. JOANNA2 STAMPER.
2. ii. WILLIAM STAMPER, b. March 22, 1774, Surry Co., NC; d. April 30, 1852, Morgan Co., Ky..
iii. SUSAN STAMPER, b. May 22, 1778, N.C.; d. December 19, 1857, Ashe Co., N.C..
3. iv. THOMAS MOORE STAMPER, b. Abt. 1780, Wilkes Co., NC; d. Bef. 1850, Morgan Co., Ky..
Generation No. 2
2. WILLIAM2 STAMPER (JAMES1) was born March 22, 1774 in Surry Co., NC, and died April 30, 1852 in Morgan Co., Ky.. He married EMILY POLLY, daughter of EDWARD POLLY and AGNES MULLINS. She died April 17, 1850 in Morgan Co., Ky..
Notes for WILLIAM STAMPER:
The work of Oliver Stamper indicates that William Stamper migrated to Kentucky from North Carolina between 1796 and 1800. If that is true, William's residence in Kentucky may not have been permanent until later since census records indicate that his
oldest children, including the twins Isaac D. and Nancy (born Sep 19 1816) were born in North Carolina. In 1812 William Stamper, a resident of Clay Co., Kentucky, sold land at Grassy Creek in Ashe Co., North Carolina. (Source: Ashe Co., NC Deeds).
The evidence seems to indicate that William came to Kentucky first, and was perhaps back and forth a bit, later brought his parents from North Carolina to Kentucky, and they were followed by his brother Thomas Moore Stamper. Oliver Stamper says
William first settled on Rockhouse at or near the mouth of Colly Creek in present-day Letcher Co., Kentucky and moved to Morgan County after the birth of all of his children.
Notes for EMILY POLLY:
The compilers of this volume feel that there is a growing body of evidence to prove that William Stamper's wife Emily was not the daughter of Edward Polly although her first name was undoubtedly Emily/Millie/Emelia.
The late Oliver Stamper provided this information, and it was no doubt simply word-of-mouth and was never documented.
In the various depositions given to secure Edward Polly's pension for Revolutionary War service, Edward Polly swore that he was the father of twelve children and proceeded to name all twelve. There was no Emily/Millie among them. His son David Polly
also deposed later for the widow Agnes Mullins Polly and named the twelve children. Again, no Emily/Millie. If Emily were Edward's daughter, one would also expect this name to be carried down somewhere in the Polly line, given the common practice of
naming children after relatives. It is nonexistent among the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Edward Polly. However, the name Millie is very common among the earliest generations of William Stamper's descendants.
Moreover, Agnes Mullins Polly, widow of Edward, said in her deposition for widow's pension that she and Edward Polly married in Virginia in 1784. William Stamper and wife Emily's first child (James B. Stamper) was born in 1797 in North Carolina. This
would allow a daughter of Edward Polly only about thirteen years to be born, grow up, marry, and have a child.
A number of Stamper researchers are now inclined to believe that Millie may have been a Whitaker. The Whitakers who came to Letcher Co., Kentucky hailed from the same Ashe/Wilkes Co., NC area as William Stamper and arrived in southeastern Kentucky at
about the same time. William was listed next to Isaac Whitaker in an early Kentucky census (on Line Fork in present-day Letcher Co., KY). Moreover, William had a son named Isaac D. Stamper. A further clue may be the use of the name "Whit" among
William's descendants. Perry Co., Kentucky Court Minute Book Three refers to William's son John Whit as "John Whitaker Stamper". William Stamper's wife could not have been the daughter of the Isaac Whitaker who was his neighbor, but she may well have
been Isaac's sister.
Children of WILLIAM STAMPER and EMILY POLLY are:
4. i. JAMES B.3 STAMPER, b. December 13, 1797, North Carolina; d. January 29, 1864, Morgan Co., Ky..
5. ii. SARAH STAMPER, b. November 15, 1799, N.C.; d. December 30, 1874, Carter Co., Ky. ?.
iii. MARTHA STAMPER, b. 1801.
6. iv. RACHEL STAMPER, b. 1803, N.C.; d. 1893, Letcher Co., Ky..
7. v. ISOM STAMPER, b. 1806, Wilkes Co, NC; d. March 04, 1899, Turkey Creek, Letcher Co, KY.
8. vi. HIRAM H. STAMPER, b. April 19, 1806, N.C.; d. Morgan Co., Ky..
9. vii. JOHN WHIT STAMPER, b. May 28, 1808, Letcher Co., Ky.; d. June 26, 1849, Letcher Co., Ky..
10. viii. ELIZABETH STAMPER, b. January 16, 1811, Perry Co., Ky.; d. March 06, 1870, Quicksand, Ky..
11. ix. MALINDA STAMPER, b. May 29, 1814, Perry Co., Ky.; d. May 18, 1894, Knott Co., Ky..
12. x. ISAAC D. STAMPER, b. September 19, 1816, North Carolina; d. September 27, 1865, Letcher Co., Ky..
xi. NANCY STAMPER, b. September 19, 1816, Ashe Co., N.C.; m. STEPHEN ADAMS, July 25, 1833, Perry Co., KY.
Notes for NANCY STAMPER:
According to Oliver Stamper's ealry work on the Stampers this Nancy
"apparently married a James Stamper". The compilers can find no evidence
that she ever married anyone besides Stephen Adams. Stephen and Nancy are
listed in the 1850 Letcher Co., KY census but cannot be found after that
date. It is possible that one of them died and the other remarried, or they
could have moved away.
Notes for STEPHEN ADAMS:
Possibly this is the Stephen Adams nicknamed "Rockhouse Steve".
13. xii. WILLIAM BUCKNER
STAMPER, b. May 01, 1820.
14. xiii. MARY "POLLY" STAMPER, b. April 30, 1823; d. Letcher Co., Ky..
3. THOMAS MOORE2 STAMPER (JAMES1) was born Abt. 1780 in Wilkes Co., NC, and died Bef. 1850 in Morgan Co., Ky.. He married ELIZABETH STITT in N.C.. She was born Abt. 1790 in VA.
Notes for THOMAS MOORE
A "More" Stamper appears in Ashe Co., North Carolina court records and
Grayson Co. Virginia records as late as 1830. Thomas M. Stamper is listed in
the 1830 Ashe Co., NC census. This might indicate Thomas' father James
Stamper preceded him to Kentucky since Oliver Stamper's research indicates
that James Stamper died in Morgan Co., KY in 1826.
More About THOMAS MOORE
Burial: Grassycreek, Morgan Co., KY
Notes for ELIZABETH STITT:
1850 Morgan Co., Ky. census lists her as Margaret instead of Elizabeth.
Children of THOMAS STAMPER and ELIZABETH STITT are:
i. ENNA3 STAMPER, m. HOWARD WALLACE.
15. ii. JANE STAMPER.
16. iii. GEORGE WASHINGTON STAMPER, b. 1810, Ashe Co., N.C.; d. Morgan Co., Ky..
17. iv. JAMES STAMPER, b. 1812, Ashe Co., N.C.; d. Morgan Co., Ky..
18. v. JEFFERSON STITT STAMPER, b. 1818; d. Morgan Co., Ky..
vi. ELIZABETH STAMPER, b. 1821, NC; m. JOHN FRISBY.
vii. LODEMIA STAMPER, b. Abt. 1822.
viii. CAROLINE STAMPER, b. Abt. 1824, KY.
19. ix. CALVIN STAMPER, b. June 04, 1824, Grassy Creek, Ashe Co., NC; d. April 10, 1901, Morgan Co., Ky..
x. ELI STAMPER, b. 1828; d. N.C. (?); m. ANGELINE PERKINS, 1848, Ashe Co., N.C..
Notes for ELI STAMPER:
Eli was in Kentucky for a time because Kentucky birth records show that at
least one of his children were born here. However, he apparently moved back
permanently to the Ashe Co., NC - Grayson Co., VA area.
xi. JULIA ANN STAMPER, b. Abt. 1832, KY; m. JOHN WILLIAMS.
Generation No. 3
4. JAMES B.3 STAMPER (WILLIAM2, JAMES1) was born December 13, 1797 in North Carolina, and died January 29, 1864 in Morgan Co., Ky.. He married (1) ----HATTON. He married (2) ----ROBINSON. He married (3) SALLIE JONES. He married (5) TAMER TOLSON November 16, 1817 in Floyd Co., KY. He married (6) REBECCA OSBORNE March 21, 1833 in Morgan Co., KY.
Notes for JAMES B. STAMPER:
It was during the Civil War that James B. Stamper was killed by Federal troops on January 30, 1864. His allegiance was with the South. His grandson, William H. Tutt, was a member of Co. E, 2nd Battalion, Kentucky Mounted Rifles, CSA. When James
Stamper was killed, his grandson was a prisoner of war and confined at Camp Morton, Indiana. Also, James' nephew was Captain Hiram H. Stamper of the 13th Kentucky Cavalry. Hiram had been taker prisoner at Gladeville, Virginia in 1863. James B.
Stamper's pro-southern support led to his death.
In a letter written by Daniel D. Hurst to William L. Hurst on February 10, 1864, an eyewitness account of the shooting is detailed. Daniel Hurst was one of one hundred Federal troops who were scouring the mountain region of eastern Kentucky for
Confederate soldiers. His letter, in part, reads as follows:
"We went to Wash Goodpaster's and made a charge on the house and got some nine or ten prisoners and very bad ones. Among them was a man by the name of Michael, also Thomas Ross, Aca Cater, Jerry Plummer and two of Wash Goodpaster's sons whose names I
have forgotten. We then went on some five miles to a man's house named Cecil and there put up for the night. Shortly after we got our horses fed we discovered a light some miles back the way we had come. We detailed twenty men to go see what was
happening. They discovered that the Guerrillas had come in behind us and set fire to the home of a man named Vest which was destroyed. We immediately went in pursuit of them and surrounded them in the home of Big Jim Stamper. They showed fight and
fired on us. We returned the fire, shooting through the cracks of the log house and at the doors. When a door was torn down, they surrendered throwing their pistols into the yard. On entering the house we found old Stamper had been killed."
Another letter written by Samuel Hurst to William Hurst on February 11, 1864 from Mt. Sterling, Kentucky claimed, "We killed old Jim Stamper and a ring leader of the Geurrillas by the name Hamilton and took 19 prisoners."
Information on the death of James B. Stamper supplied by Tutt Lambert, Paxton Lake, 1443 Nauticus Cove, Loveland, OH 45140.
It is believed that some of James B. Stamper's marriages were common-law
arrangements. Land deeds show that his farm was situated on Grassy Creek,
Morgan Co., Kentucky.
Notes for TAMER TOLSON:
On Nov 7, 1817, in Floyd Co., Kentucky, a bond by James Stamper and Warwm (?)
Tolson for a marriage to be had shortly between James Stamper and Tamer
Toulson. Permission written Oct 25 1817 from bride's father and signed
Child of JAMES STAMPER and ----HATTON is:
20. i. RACHEL4 STAMPER.
Children of JAMES STAMPER and ----ROBINSON are:
ii. HIRAM4 STAMPER.
iii. MATILDA STAMPER.
21. iv. JOHN STAMPER, b. 1837, Letcher Co., Ky.; d. 1905, Letcher Co., Ky..
Child of JAMES STAMPER and SALLIE JONES is:
22. v. MALINDA JANE4 STAMPER, b. September 07, 1835.
Children of JAMES STAMPER and TAMER TOLSON are:
23. vi. SARAH H.4 STAMPER, b. December 06, 1819, Morgan Co., KY; d. February 1886, Wolfe Co., KY.
24. vii. WILLIAM DIXON STAMPER, b. 1820.
Children of JAMES STAMPER and REBECCA OSBORNE are:
25. viii. JAMES MOORE4 STAMPER, b. December 27, 1834, Morgan Co., Ky. (?).
26. ix. POLLY STAMPER, b. 1842.
5. SARAH3 STAMPER (WILLIAM2, JAMES1) was born November 15, 1799 in N.C., and died December 30, 1874 in Carter Co., Ky. ?. She married JOHN STAMPER 1820 in Floyd Co., KY. He was born 1799 in Wilkes Co., NC, and died 1894 in Carter Co., KY.
Notes for JOHN STAMPER:
This John Stamper's parentage is a bit uncertain. A story among his descendants is that he and his wife Sarah were cousins. This is probably true, but we do not know for certain whether they were first cousins. One story relates that John was the
offspring of one of William Stamper's sisters, possibly the one named Joanna. It is worth noting here that John himself apparently had a daughter named Joanna. A Joanna Stamper lived in the Ashe Co., NC/Grayson Co., VA area, and many Stamper
researchers believe she was the sister of William and Thomas Moore Stamper. She married a Perkins. The 1790 census of Randolph Co., NC shows a "Jammez" Stamper with two sons and several daughters, so apparently James and Sarah Moore Stamper did have
several female children. Some descendants of John also claim that a family tradition states that he was fathered by an Indian. Additionally, some researchers say his full name was John Reeves Stamper.
A good case has also been made that John was the son of Richard Stamper and wife Martha "Patsy" Carter (see elsewhere in this volume). No real proof exists either way to the knowledge of the compilers of this volume. Therefore, we will carry the
descendants down through the line of his wife Sarah, since William Stamper signed consent for the marriage of his daughter Sarah to John in Floyd Co., Kentucky 1820.
He was known as "Pewter" John Stamper because, according to tradition, he often attempted to sell silver as pewter.
More About JOHN STAMPER:
Children of SARAH STAMPER and JOHN STAMPER are:
27. i. SR. GEORGE WASHINGTON4 STAMPER, b. June 04, 1821, Swain Co., NC; d. December 06, 1905, Olive Hill, Carter Co., KY.
28. ii. SILVEY STAMPER, b. August 02, 1822, Wolfe Co., KY; d. 1903.
29. iii. ANDREW JACKSON STAMPER, b. May 30, 1824, KY; d. November 17, 1900, Carter Co., KY.
30. iv. MARTHA PATSY STAMPER, b. 1825, Letcher Co., KY; d. 1905.
v. CYNTHIA STAMPER, b. 1826, Letcher Co., KY; m. SR. CYRUS BEGLEY COOPER, March 25, 1844, Carter Co., KY.
31. vi. PERMELIA/PAMELIA STAMPER, b. 1828, Letcher Co., KY.
32. vii. THOMAS JEFFERSON STAMPER, b. January 17, 1833, KY; d. March 23, 1893.
viii. NANCY STAMPER, b. 1834, KY; m. BURREL FANNIN, December 19, 1850, Carter Co., KY.
33. ix. WASHINGTON STAMPER, b. Abt. 1838; d. 1908.
34. x. WILLIAM STAMPER, b. 1839, Carter Co., KY; d. Abt. 1909.
xi. JOANNA STAMPER, b. 1844.
6. RACHEL3 STAMPER (WILLIAM2, JAMES1) was born 1803 in N.C., and died 1893 in Letcher Co., Ky.. She married GIDEON ISON.
Notes for RACHEL STAMPER:
Rachel and husband Gideon settled at the mouth of Defeated Creek on Line Fork
in present-day Letcher Co., Kentucky. Rachel was blind for twenty years
prior to her death, and apparently passed an inherited eye disease, possibly
retinitis pigmentosa, down to some of her descendants since this condition has
occurred fairly often in the Isons who are descendants of Rachel.
Children of RACHEL STAMPER and GIDEON ISON are:
35. i. GEORGE4 ISON, b. Letcher Co., Ky.; d. Letcher Co., Ky..
36. ii. JOHN ISON, b. Letcher Co., Ky..
37. iii. ELIJAH ISON, b. Letcher Co., Ky.; d. Letcher Co., Ky..
38. iv. BONAPARTE ISON, b. Letcher Co., Ky..
39. v. DOCK ISON, b. Letcher Co., Ky..
40. vi. USLEY ISON, b. Letcher Co., Ky..
41. vii. GIDEON ISON, b. Letcher Co., Ky..
42. viii. MOSES ISON, b. 1837, Letcher Co., Ky..
43. ix. JONAH ISON, b. April 20, 1840, Letcher Co., Ky.; d. May 13, 1911.
7. ISOM3 STAMPER (WILLIAM2, JAMES1) was born 1806 in Wilkes Co, NC, and died March 04, 1899 in Turkey Creek, Letcher Co, KY. He married SARAH CREECH January 12, 1827 in Perry Co, KY. She was born August 22, 1807 in VA, and died January 07, 1872 in Letcher Co, KY.
Notes for ISOM STAMPER:
Age 72 IN 1880 Census. Research of G. Kay Inman made Isom probable child
of William and Emily (Polly) Stamper. However, one of the Census records
said he was born in VA? Records of Cheryl Malo also show him as son of
William and Emily, and his birth place as Wilkes Co, NC. Deneen
Whiteside gives birth date and place as probably Middlesex Co, VA, and
gives birth and death date of Sarah Creech. She also provided
additional information on Isom's children, where noted.
RECORDS FROM LETCHER CO., KY:DEFEATED CREEK (KY GENEALOGIST, V.27, NO.3,
JUL./SEPT.1985; provided by Marge Turner, December, 1997; (Says this was
two ledgers , like a diary of Eli Hall and daughter Susanna Hall Frazier)
May 2, 1874 Jamames (sic) Stamper was bornd a March the 20 day 1853, son
of Istum Stamper. Ira Stampers wife has a fine son the 30th day of Jan.
1869. John Stamper was bornd Feb. 1, 1874 Marget Stamper was bornd Feb.
1, 1874, the son and daughter of John and Elizabeth Stamper. John W.
Stamper was bornd May 31, 1874, son of Samuel and Sewrana Stamper. Sarah
Stamper deceased Jan. , 1878, age 72, wife of Isom Stamper. Millery
Stamper deceased Jan. 4, 1874, wife of Ira Stamper. Sarah Stamper
deceased Jan. 7, 1872, wife of Isum Stamper. Lewcindah Stamper deceased
Sept. 20,1879, wife of John W. Stamper
We tentatively place Isom here as the son of William Stamper and wife Emily.
There is evidence to suggest, but not prove that they are his parents.
Information on Isom's descendants has been provided by Gloria Kay Vandiver
Notes for SARAH CREECH:
Age 52 IN 1850 Census
Children of ISOM STAMPER and SARAH CREECH are:
44. i. MARTHA PATSY4 STAMPER, b. 1827, Perry; d. February 1910, Missouri.
45. ii. IRA STAMPER, b. October 11, 1829, Perry Co, KY; d. February 05, 1910, Rome, Douglas Co, MO.
46. iii. ENOCH C. STAMPER, b. 1832, KY; d. Letcher/Perry Co, KY?.
47. iv. JOHN STAMPER, b. 1834, Letcher Co, KY; d. January 07, 1912.
v. SARAH STAMPER, b. 1836, Perry or Letcher Co?, KY.
vi. ELIZABETH STAMPER, b. 1838, Letcher Co, KY; d. March 03, 1899; m. JOHN T. COLE, 1886, Letcher Co, KY; b. Abt. 1835.
Notes for ELIZABETH STAMPER:
BK 7 PG 277 Letcher CO KY Marr Reg
48. vii. CYNTHIA STAMPER,
b. 1840, Letcher Co, KY.
49. viii. ALEXANDER OR ALAMANDER? STAMPER, b. November 1842, Perry Co, KY.
50. ix. SUSANNAH STAMPER, b. November 1844, Perry Co, KY.
51. x. LEMUEL N. STAMPER, b. December 10, 1845, Perry or Letcher Co, KY; d. March 24, 1903, Whitley co, KY.
52. xi. WESLEY M. 'WILEY' STAMPER, b. February 1847, Letcher Co, KY.
53. xii. MARY 'POLLY' STAMPER, b. 1850, Letcher Co, KY.
54. xiii. JAMES 'JIM' STAMPER, b. October 24, 1853, Perry or Letcher Co, KY.
xiv. JOSEPH STAMPER, b. October 24, 1853, Perry Co, KY; d. died young.
8. HIRAM H.3 STAMPER (WILLIAM2, JAMES1) was born April 19, 1806 in N.C., and died in Morgan Co., Ky.. He married MATILDA HOGG October 11, 1827, daughter of JAMES HOGG and ELIZABETH KELLY. She was born Abt. 1809 in KY, and died in Morgan Co., Ky..
Notes for HIRAM H. STAMPER:
Hiram H. and Matilda moved to Morgan Co., Kentucky after their marriage.
(Source: Oliver Stamper).
Children of HIRAM STAMPER and MATILDA HOGG are:
55. i. DICY4 STAMPER, b. Abt. 1830; d. Wolfe Co., Ky..
56. ii. WILLIAM STAMPER, b. Abt. 1831.
57. iii. MILLIE STAMPER, b. Abt. 1833.
58. iv. LUCINDA STAMPER, b. October 01, 1838.
59. v. JAMES H. STAMPER, b. Abt. 1847.
9. JOHN WHIT3 STAMPER (WILLIAM2, JAMES1) was born May 28, 1808 in Letcher Co., Ky., and died June 26, 1849 in Letcher Co., Ky.. He married LUCINDA HOGG December 09, 1829, daughter of JAMES HOGG and ELIZABETH KELLY. She was born February 29, 1812, and died September 12, 1879 in Letcher Co., Ky..
Notes for JOHN WHIT STAMPER:
Moved briefly to Red River in present-day Wolfe Co., Kentucky then back to
Letcher Co. and settled at the head of Elk.
More About JOHN WHIT STAMPER:
Burial: Head of Elk, Letcher Co., KY
Children of JOHN STAMPER and LUCINDA HOGG are:
60. i. ELIZABETH4 STAMPER, b. December 09, 1830, Letcher Co., KY; d. November 27, 1895, Litt Carr, KY.
61. ii. JAMES P. STAMPER, b. August 30, 1832, Letcher Co., Ky.; d. June 21, 1903, Knott Co., Ky..
62. iii. HIRAM H. STAMPER, b. August 02, 1834, Letcher Co., Ky.; d. February 19, 1873, Knott Co., Ky..
63. iv. LUCINDA STAMPER, b. June 09, 1836, Letcher Co., Ky.; d. 1879, Letcher Co., Ky..
64. v. MATILDA STAMPER, b. June 09, 1836, Letcher Co., Ky.; d. February 06, 1890, Cornettsville, Ky..
65. vi. JR. JOHN WHIT STAMPER, b. July 20, 1838, Letcher Co., KY; d. July 04, 1907, Petersville, Lewis Co., KY.
66. vii. WILLIAM RILEY STAMPER, b. May 05, 1840; d. April 03, 1891, Lewis Co., Ky..
viii. MILLIE ANN STAMPER, b. July 15, 1842; d. February 18, 1866.
Notes for MILLIE ANN STAMPER:
More About MILLIE ANN
Burial: Head of Elk Creek, Letcher Co., KY
ix. MARGARET "PEGGY" STAMPER, b. August 12, 1844; d. February 17, 1865.
Notes for MARGARET "PEGGY"
More About MARGARET "PEGGY"
Burial: Head of Elk Creek, Letcher Co., KY
10. ELIZABETH3 STAMPER
(WILLIAM2, JAMES1) was born January 16, 1811 in Perry Co., Ky.,
and died March 06, 1870 in Quicksand, Ky.. She married DANIEL
HAGANS August 26, 1832 in Perry Co., Ky.. He was born February
22, 1807, and died September 12, 1866 in Quicksand, Ky..
Children of ELIZABETH STAMPER and DANIEL HAGANS are:
i. NANCY4 HAGANS, b. Breathitt Co., Ky..
ii. DANIEL BRECKINRIDGE HAGANS, b. Breathitt Co., Ky.; m. MARGARET BACH.
iii. MILLIE HAGANS, b. May 28, 1832; d. March 06, 1870, Breathitt Co., Ky.; m. JAMES D. WILLIAMS.
iv. MARY "POLLY" HAGANS, b. December 01, 1834, Breathitt Co., Ky.; m. ROBERT DAVIS.
v. WILLIAM BUCKNER HAGANS, b. October 28, 1835, Breathitt Co., Ky.; m. MINERVA J. BACH.
vi. MARTHA HAGANS, b. 1838, Breathitt Co., Ky.; m. JAMES BACH.
67. vii. HIRAM HAGANS, b. May 14, 1841, Breathitt Co., Ky.; d. December 01, 1897, Lyon Co., KS.
viii. MALETHA HAGANS, b. April 28, 1846, Breathitt Co., Ky.; m. RUEBEN LANDRUM.
ix. JOHN LINVILLE HAGANS, b. May 27, 1848, Breathitt Co., Ky.; m. ARLENA CHAPMAN.
x. MAGOFFIN HAGANS, b. January 14, 1856, Breathitt Co., Ky..
11. MALINDA3 STAMPER (WILLIAM2,
JAMES1) was born May 29, 1814 in Perry Co., Ky., and died May
18, 1894 in Knott Co., Ky.. She married ELISHA BREEDING. He died
Children of MALINDA STAMPER and ELISHA BREEDING are:
i. WILLIAM4 BREEDING, b. June 03, 1834, Knott Co., Ky..
ii. ELIJAH BREEDING, b. December 30, 1835, Knott Co., Ky..
iii. JOHN BREEDING, b. October 01, 1837, Knott Co., Ky.; m. PAULINA HOGG.
iv. AILCY BREEDING, b. May 05, 1839, Knott Co., Ky.; m. JOHN HALE.
v. NANCY BREEDING, b. August 16, 1841, Knott Co., Ky.; m. WILLIAM CALHOUN.
vi. JASPER BREEDING, b. August 13, 1843, Knott Co., Ky..
vii. ELIZABETH BREEDING, b. April 07, 1845, Knott Co., Ky.; m. JOHN COMBS.
viii. MILLY BREEDING, b. May 02, 1848, Knott Co., Ky..
ix. JAMES BREEDING, b. September 26, 1849, Knott Co., Ky.; m. VINA CODY.
68. x. GEORGE M. BREEDING, b. September 13, 1851, Knott Co., Ky.; d. November 29, 1933, Knott Co., Ky..
xi. POLLY BREEDING, b. September 05, 1853, Knott Co., Ky.; m. WESLEY COMBS.
xii. LUCINDA BREEDING, b. August 03, 1855, Knott Co., KY; m. JOHN CRAFT.
69. xiii. MATILDA BREEDING, b. April 11, 1859, Knott Co., Ky.; d. April 21, 1896, Knott Co., Ky..
12. ISAAC D.3 STAMPER
(WILLIAM2, JAMES1) was born September 19, 1816 in North Carolina,
and died September 27, 1865 in Letcher Co., Ky.. He married POLLY
ADAMS. She was born February 1817.
Children of ISAAC STAMPER and POLLY ADAMS are:
70. i. HIRAM4 STAMPER, b. April 07, 1841, Letcher Co., Ky.; d. Letcher Co., Ky..
71. ii. WILLIAM STAMPER, b. 1843, Letcher Co., Ky..
72. iii. STEPHEN STAMPER, b. 1845, Letcher Co., Ky..
iv. MILLIE STAMPER, b. 1847, Letcher Co., Ky.; m. STEPHEN HOGG, February 18, 1864.
73. v. DANIEL B. STAMPER, b. 1849, Letcher Co., Ky..
vi. ROSEANNAH STAMPER, b. November 23, 1852, Letcher Co., Ky.; m. CHRISTOPER CRAFT.
vii. JOSEPH STAMPER, b. 1853, Letcher Co., Ky..
viii. MARY STAMPER, b. 1858, Letcher Co., Ky.; m. JEFFERSON ISON.
Notes for MARY STAMPER:
Mary was blind.
ix. MARTHA STAMPER, b.
1862, Letcher Co., Ky..
74. x. MOSES STAMPER, b. July 05, 1862, Letcher Co., Ky.; d. June 07, 1920, Letcher Co., Ky..
xi. BETTY STAMPER, b. 1865, Letcher Co., Ky..
13. WILLIAM BUCKNER3 STAMPER (WILLIAM2, JAMES1) was born May 01, 1820. He married REBECCA ADAMS. She was born 1825.
Notes for WILLIAM BUCKNER
Listed in the 1850 Letcher Co. census as William M. Stamper.
Children of WILLIAM STAMPER and REBECCA ADAMS are:
i. JESSE A.4 STAMPER, b. 1844.
ii. MILLY STAMPER, b. 1846.
iii. MARGARET STAMPER, b. 1848.
iv. NANCY STAMPER, b. 1849.
v. MARY A. "POLLY" STAMPER, b. May 12, 1852.
vi. DIANA STAMPER, b. February 09, 1855.
14. MARY "POLLY"3
STAMPER (WILLIAM2, JAMES1) was born April 30, 1823, and died in
Letcher Co., Ky.. She married HENRY MAGGARD.
Children of MARY STAMPER and HENRY MAGGARD are:
i. ISAAC4 MAGGARD, b. Letcher Co., Ky.; m. MARY NEACE.
ii. SAMUEL MAGGARD, b. Letcher Co., Ky.; m. BETTY ADAMS.
iii. JOHN MAGGARD, b. Letcher Co., Ky..
iv. JAMES MAGGARD, b. Letcher Co., Ky.; m. SARAH NEACE.
75. v. MILLIE MAGGARD, b. Letcher Co., Ky..
vi. NANCY MAGGARD, b. Letcher Co., Ky.; m. GREEN ADAMS.
vii. SALLY MAGGARD, b. Letcher Co., Ky.; m. BENJAMIN ADAMS.
viii. WILLIAM MAGGARD, b. Letcher Co., Ky.; m. (1) VINA FRAZIER; m. (2) BETSY ADAMS.
15. JANE3 STAMPER (THOMAS
MOORE2, JAMES1) She married JOSIAH HAVENS, son of WILLIAM HAVENS
and ELIZABETH WILSON.
Children of JANE STAMPER and JOSIAH HAVENS are:
i. WILLIAM T.4 HAVENS, b. West Liberty, KY.
ii. SAMUEL J. HAVENS, b. West Liberty, KY; d. 1884.
iii. JOHN W. HAVENS, b. West Liberty, KY.
iv. SARAH E. HAVENS.
Notes for SARAH E. HAVENS:
Died in infancy.
v. JAMES C. HAVENS, b. 1844, West Liberty, KY; d. December 31, 1864.
Notes for JAMES C. HAVENS:
Killed in the Confederate service at Sharpesburg, Bath Co., KY.
16. GEORGE WASHINGTON3
STAMPER (THOMAS MOORE2, JAMES1) was born 1810 in Ashe Co., N.C.,
and died in Morgan Co., Ky.. He married (1) MOLLY ----. She was
born 1855. He married (2) JANE NICKELL May 31, 1837 in Morgan
Co., KY. She was born 1820, and died 1868.
Children of GEORGE STAMPER and MOLLY ---- are:
i. JIM4 STAMPER, b. 1875.
ii. ELIZABETH M. STAMPER, b. 1878.
76. iii. CHARLES HENRY STAMPER, b. 1880.
Children of GEORGE STAMPER and JANE NICKELL are:
iv. HENRY4 STAMPER.
v. PERLINA STAMPER, b. 1842.
vi. THOMAS STAMPER, b. 1849.
vii. ROSANNAH STAMPER, b. 1854.
viii. GEORGE STAMPER, b. 1854.
ix. MILES STAMPER, b. 1856.
17. JAMES3 STAMPER (THOMAS
MOORE2, JAMES1) was born 1812 in Ashe Co., N.C., and died in Morgan
Co., Ky.. He married DARINDA COX. She was born 1814 in KY.
Children of JAMES STAMPER and DARINDA COX are:
i. JOHN THOMAS4 STAMPER, b. September 13, 1838, Morgan Co., Ky.; d. Morgan Co., Ky.; m. ELIZABETH CLARK.
ii. RAUSALINE STAMPER, b. September 17, 1839, Morgan Co., Ky.; d. May 20, 1913, Wolfe Co., KY.
77. iii. GEORGE STAMPER, b. June 16, 1842, Morgan Co., Ky.; d. September 20, 1923, Wolfe Co., KY.
78. iv. SARAH ELIZABETH ANN STAMPER, b. April 04, 1845, Morgan Co., Ky.; d. Wolfe Co, Ky..
v. LOUIS GREEN STAMPER, b. January 29, 1848, Morgan Co., Ky.; m. LOU A. LAWSON.
18. JEFFERSON STITT3 STAMPER
(THOMAS MOORE2, JAMES1) was born 1818, and died in Morgan Co.,
Ky.. He married ELIZABETH GILMORE.
Children of JEFFERSON STAMPER and ELIZABETH GILMORE are:
i. MARGARET JANE4 STAMPER, b. 1843, Morgan Co., Ky.; m. JOSEPH SHIMP.
ii. ANGELINE STAMPER, b. 1847, Morgan Co., KY; m. TAYLOR CASKEY.
iii. MARY STAMPER, b. 1855, Morgan Co, Ky.; m. STEPHEN COULTER.
iv. JAMES G. STAMPER, b. 1858, Morgan Co., KY.
19. CALVIN3 STAMPER (THOMAS MOORE2, JAMES1) was born June 04, 1824 in Grassy Creek, Ashe Co., NC, and died April 10, 1901 in Morgan Co., Ky.. He married ELIZABETH HIGGENBOTHAM. She was born January 01, 1840, and died December 19, 1912.
More About CALVIN STAMPER:
Burial: Grassy Lick Cemetery, Morgan Co., KY
More About ELIZABETH HIGGENBOTHAM:
Burial: Grassy Lick Cemetery, Morgan Co., KY
Children of CALVIN STAMPER and ELIZABETH HIGGENBOTHAM are:
79. i. THOMAS FRANKLIN "DOC"4 STAMPER, b. August 11, 1858, Morgan Co., Ky.; d. May 16, 1929.
ii. MARY JANE "MOLLY" STAMPER, b. December 19, 1865, Morgan Co., Ky.; d. 1946; m. FRANK HAVENS.
80. iii. JOSEPH CALVIN STAMPER, b. November 18, 1870, Morgan Co., Ky.; d. 1948.
|Copyright 1999 ... The Stamper Family Association, Inc ... All rights reserved|